Terms and conditions
The terms and conditions of use for the ScotLIS website
These Conditions of Use apply to all Content which is freely available and accessible on ScotLIS. Content which is available via a login is subject to separate conditions of use.
- means any and all text, images, maps, audio, video, scripts, code, software, databases and any other form of information capable of being stored on a computer that appears on, or forms part of, or is accessible through, ScotLIS
- means our web infrastructure providing a single point of access to information from our Registers and other information
- means the Keeper of the Registers of Scotland (“Registers of Scotland”)
Information about us
- ScotLIS is owned and operated by Registers of Scotland, a non-ministerial department responsible for compiling and maintaining public registers relating to land, property, and other legal documents.
- To contact us please fill in the contact form or use any of the methods provided on our contact page.
Access to ScotLIS is provided “as is” and on an “as available” basis. We may alter, suspend or discontinue ScotLIS (or any part of it) at any time and without notice. We will not be liable to you in any way if ScotLIS (or any part of it) is unavailable at any time and for any period.
Acceptable Usage Policy
- Subject to clause 6.3, the Content is to be used for domestic and private purposes only.
- You may only use ScotLIS in a manner that is lawful. Specifically you must ensure that you comply fully with any and all local, national or international laws and/or regulations, and you must not use the ScotLIS in any way, or for any purpose, that is unlawful or fraudulent.
You must not:
- use any automated software agents to search, copy, monitor, display, obtain links to or otherwise access ScotLIS
- copy or display any of the Content for display on another website
- attempt to add, change or delete any Content on ScotLIS
- use the Content to claim any arrangement or official partnership with Registers of Scotland to supply or reuse data and/or information
- use the Content for any fraudulent or unlawful activity that breaches data protection law
Viruses, Malware and Security
- We exercise all reasonable skill and care to ensure that ScotLIS is secure and free from viruses and other malware.
- You are responsible for protecting your hardware, software, data and other material from viruses, malware, and other internet security risks.
- You must not deliberately introduce viruses or other malware, or any other material which is malicious or technologically harmful either to or via ScotLIS.
- You must not attempt to gain unauthorised access to any part of ScotLIS, the Registers of Scotland website, the server on which the Register of Scotland website and ScotLIS is stored, or any other server, computer, or database connected to ScotLIS.
- By breaching the provisions of this clause 5 you may be committing a criminal offence under the Computer Misuse Act 1990. Any and all such breaches will be reported to the relevant law enforcement authorities. Your right to use ScotLIS will cease immediately in the event of such a breach.
Intellectual Property Rights
- All Content and the copyright and other intellectual property rights subsisting in the Content, unless specifically labelled otherwise, belongs to or has been licensed by us. All Content is protected by applicable United Kingdom and international intellectual property laws and treaties.
- Subject to clauses 6.3 and you may not reproduce, copy, distribute, sell, rent, sub-licence, store, or in any other manner re-use Content unless given express written permission to do so by us.
- Content drawn from our registers such as house price information is Crown Copyright. Registers of Scotland has delegated authority from the Queen’s Printer for Scotland to permit re-use of Crown Copyright material produced by Registers of Scotland. You may reproduce this Content in any format or medium but only for private and domestic use or for internal circulation within an organisation. You may not use any Content for any commercial purposes.
If we so request, the Content must be acknowledged to be Crown Copyright and the
following copyright statement must be shown on the reproduced material.
© Crown copyright material reproduced with the permission of Registers of Scotland. This material was last updated on...It covers the period from...to...
- The Content on ScotLIS is provided for general information purposes only. Professional or specialist advice should always be sought before taking any action relating to property matters, conveyancing transactions or any other matter connected to the Content.
- Insofar as is permitted by law, we make no representation, warranty, or guarantee that ScotLIS will meet your requirements, that it will not infringe the rights of third parties, that it will be compatible with all software and hardware, or that it will be secure.
- We make reasonable efforts to ensure that the Content is complete, accurate, and up-to-date. We do not, however, make any representations, warranties or guarantees (whether express or implied) that the Content is complete, accurate, or up-to-date.
- To the fullest extent permissible by law, we accept no liability to any user for any loss or damage, whether foreseeable or otherwise, in contract, delict (including negligence), for breach of statutory duty, or otherwise, arising out of or in connection with the use of (or inability to use) ScotLIS or the use of or reliance upon any Content.
- To the fullest extent permissible by law, we exclude all representations, warranties, and guarantees (whether express or implied) that may apply to ScotLIS or any Content.
- The Content is for private and domestic use only. We are not responsible for any losses that may arise if you use the Content for commercial business or re-sale purposes.
- We exercise all reasonable skill and care to ensure that ScotLIS is free from viruses and other malware. We accept no liability for any loss or damage resulting from a virus or other malware, a distributed denial of service attack, or other harmful material or event that may adversely affect your hardware, software, data or other material that occurs as a result of your use of ScotLIS (including the downloading of any Content ).
- Nothing in these Conditions excludes or restricts our liability for fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation, for death or personal injury resulting from negligence, or for any other forms of liability which cannot be excluded or restricted by law
Privacy and Cookies
Changes to these Conditions of Use
- We may alter these Conditions of Use at any time. Any such changes will become binding on you upon your first use of ScotLIS after the changes have been implemented. You are therefore advised to check this page from time to time.
- In the event of any conflict between the current version of these Conditions of Use and any previous version(s), the provisions current and in effect shall prevail unless it is expressly stated otherwise.
Law and Jurisdiction
- These Conditions of Use, and the relationship between you and us (whether contractual or otherwise) shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with Scots law.
- Any disputes concerning these Conditions of Use, the relationship between you and us, or any matters arising therefrom or associated therewith (whether contractual or otherwise) shall be subject to the jurisdiction of the Scottish courts.